Protecting Landowners: Negotiation; Leases; Royalties; Litigation
Marcellus Shale Gas Play; Utica Shale Gas Play; Appalachian Basin
Oil and gas development in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, in the Marcellus play, Utica play or anywhere can present unique and complex issues that can be intimidating and challenging. It can produce lawsuits, litigation, negotiations and dispute resolution procedures. At Pennsylvania based Houston Harbaugh, P.C., our Oil and Gas Practice is dedicated to protecting the interests of landowners and royalty owners.
From new lease negotiations to title disputes, to royalty litigation across all of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia – Marcellus shale play, Utica shale play and elsewhere – we can help. Whether you have two acres in Washington County or 5,000 acres in Lycoming County, our dedication and commitment remains the same.
Building Client Confidence™
Sophisticated Oil, Gas, Energy Attorneys for Landowners and Royalty Owners
The Oil and Gas Practice Group at Houston Harbaugh has broad experience in a wide array of oil and gas matters. Our team has made it their mission to protect and preserve the landowner’s interests in matters that include:
- Curative Title Litigation
- Lease Expiration Claims
- New Lease Negotiations
- Oil and Gas Royalty Disputes
- Pipeline Right-of-Way Negotiations
- Royalty Audits
- Surface Access Agreements
- Tax and Estate Planning
Houston Harbaugh is a full-service firm for landowners and royalty owners in the Marcellus play and elsewhere. We handle litigation and transactional matters in Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia. Our Oil and Gas Practice Group regularly assist clients across a wide variety of oil and gas disciplines, from the negotiation of leases, rights-of way and surface use agreements to helping clients create business and estate plans to protect their oil and gas interests, to making sure that production royalties are being paid properly and litigating ownership and lease termination claims in court. Whether you have a small property in the suburbs or thousands of acres, if you have an issue or concern related to oil and gas, the Oil and Practice Group at Houston Harbaugh are ready to assist.
Oil and gas leases are complex contracts that are drafted and proposed by sophisticated businesses. While a lease “signing bonus” and the potential for royalty payments may be enticing, the modern oil and gas lease contains many provisions that could have a substantial impact on your rights as a royalty owner for decades. Before entering into an oil and gas lease, it is important that you are informed about the contract and what rights you are granting to the gas company. The oil and gas attorneys at Houston Harbaugh have negotiated hundreds of complex and sophisticated oil and gas leases for clients. We know oil and gas leasing.
Many individuals and families across our region have benefitted financially from the Marcellus gas play and other oil and gas leasing and development, whether through lease “signing bonus” payments, production royalty payments or other payments related to surface usage agreements. Preserving and protecting these revenue streams and making sure that future generations have the opportunity to benefit from them are common questions that many royalty owners have. We have the expertise to help.
With our Oil, Gas and Energy lawyers, there is no “one size fits all” approach to addressing your oil and gas interests now and into the future. The attorneys at Houston Harbaugh have decades of experience in oil and gas law and estate planning. Let our experience work for you.
Representative Oil and Gas Legal Representation and Litigation
- Representation of school district in negotiating non-surface access oil/gas lease.
- Representation of Fortune 500 company in connection with title dispute arising out of ownership of oil/gas estate.
- Representation of family limited partnership in negotiating oil/gas lease with parcel in excess of 1,500 acres.
- Representation of landowner in litigation with contaminated water supply caused by nearby drilling operations.
- Representation of landowner in pipeline eminent domain action arising under the Natural Gas Act.
- Representation of mineral owners in quiet title action against a surface owner claiming title to hydrocarbons through adverse possession.
- Representation of landowner with 1400 acres in dispute with gas operator regarding bad faith pooling.
- Representation of landowner in connection with water contamination claims caused by adjacent drilling operations.
- Representation of an equipment supply company in a dispute with a gas operator regarding surface access rights.
- Representation of a landowner who faced mine subsidence, contaminated water and other environmental concerns and successfully negotiated a revised lease with the gas company and the coal company.
- Representation of landowner with 4,000+ acres in dispute with gas operator regarding lease expiration.
- Representation of landowner in lease litigation regarding the proper application of shut-in royalty clause and other lease-saving mechanisms.
- Representation of landowner with 4,000+ acres in dispute regarding the application of the gas storage clause and the ability to hold lease beyond primary term.
- Representation of landowner in dispute with gas operator regarding a sub-surface trespass occasioned by horizontal drilling.
Building Client Confidence™
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Oil and Gas Lawyers | Landowners | Marcellus Gas | Attorneys | Litigation | Energy