Jake Oresick is a problem-solving litigator, focusing his practice in the areas of business litigation, insurance coverage and bad faith, environmental law, intellectual property, and construction.
As a part of his insurance practice, Jake has represented insurance companies in matters related to first-party property damage, auto liability/UIM, and employment loss, in addition to providing insurers with coverage opinions during the claims handling process.
Jake also has experience representing businesses, government entities, and individuals in a wide array of litigation matters, including cases involving breach of commercial contracts, restrictive covenants and trade secrets, products liability, construction defects, real estate transactions, landlord-tenant disputes, and unemployment compensation.
He understands that each client’s objectives and concerns are unique, and employs active, empathetic listening to identify customized, results-oriented strategies. Indeed, Jake’s personalized approach provides his clients with peace of mind on top of high-caliber, cost-effective representation.
Prior to entering private practice, Jake served as a law clerk for judges of the Courts of Common Pleas of Allegheny, Washington, and Westmoreland counties, where he gained invaluable insight into judges’ perspectives.
During law school, Jake was selected to be a teaching assistant in Legal Analysis and Writing program, and completed internships with the Honorable Joy Flowers Conti of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and the Honorable John T. Bender of the Superior Court of Pennsylvania.
Outside of the firm, Jake is an active member of the Allegheny County Bar Association and author. His first book The Schenley Experiment, is a comprehensive, 160-year history of the Pittsburgh Public Schools, which the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette called “compelling” and “painstakingly researched.” Most recently, Jake co-authored The Pittsburgh Novel: Western Pennsylvania in Fiction and Drama, 1792-2022, with his late father, Peter Oresick.
Education & Credentials
- University of Pittsburgh, J.D.
- Carnegie Mellon University, M.S. in Public Policy and Management
- John Carroll University, B.A., Cum Laude
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- State of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia