Another day, another COVID-19 insurance coverage suit. Windber Hospital sued Travelers Property Casualty Company of America in the U.S.D.C for the Western District of Pennsylvania on April 23, 2020 seeking declaratory and injunctive relief enjoining Travelers from further denying insurance coverage under a property policy for losses allegedly sustained in the Covid-19 pandemic including business income loss. The complaint also seeks certification of a class of “Pennsylvania citizens who have sustained covered losses caused by the COVID-19 virus” under Fed.R.Civ.P. 23. Similar to other suits, the complaint is light on substance, containing only general assertions about the nature of the coverage and omitting any specific mention of policy terms and conditions.
In order to navigate the complicated and ever-changing laws surrounding health care and your business, you need attorneys who understand your challenges. The Pittsburgh health care lawyers at Houston Harbaugh, P.C., have the knowledge and experience to help you manage everyday issues, as well as plan for the future.
Jessica A. Ellel
Chair of Houston Harbaugh’s Health Law Practice, Jessica works almost exclusively with health care entities and health practitioners. She has extensive experience with:
- Drafting and negotiating physician employment agreements from both the physician and employer perspectives
- Negotiating contracts between physicians and hospitals
- Preparing purchase agreements to govern the sale of medical practices
- Advising on corporate governance issues, from practice formation to dissolution
- Developing comprehensive compliance plans for physician practices, hospitals, third-party billing administrators, and other health care and related entities
- Organizing strategies for compliance with fraud and abuse laws
- Addressing HIPAA compliance
Jessica is especially well-versed in HIPAA compliance and authors numerous client updates and bulletins on the subject. She conducts on-site and remote HIPAA training and also maintains Houston Harbaugh’s HIPAA compliance manual, ” Federal HIPAA Privacy Standards Simplified: A Comprehensive Tool-Kit”.